- This event has passed.
(Required) OTF Welcomes You!
November 3, 2020 @ 1:15 pm - 2:15 pm UTC-4
All Year 1 Teacher Candidates are expected to attend this event, per Ontario College of Teachers’ (OCT) accreditation requirements.
The Ontario Teachers’ Federation (OTF) represents approximately 160,000 teachers in Ontario’s publicly funded schools. It is the unifying voice safeguarding their profession, pensions and public education. All teachers in publicly funded schools belong to OTF and to one of four teacher federations, all of which are OTF Affiliates. As teacher candidates, you are associate members of the Federation. Come and learn what this special status means to you – what outstanding services and resources OTF offers you as an associate member and what your legal and ethical responsibilities are.
We are excited to welcome Parker Robinson, President of the Ontario Teachers’ Federation, and Lindy Amato, Director of Professional Affairs of the Ontario Teachers’ Federation.
We will learn about the history of the Elementary Teachers’ Federation of Ontario (ETFO) and its role today, including membership, resources and programs available to its members.
By the end of the session:
- I can identify member groups.
- I can describe the benefits of membership in OTF.
- I can access a variety of resources related to teaching and professional development.
- I can articulate my professional responsibilities as a teacher / member of OTF.
- I can describe my duties to students, to the federation and to my fellow members.
Resources from Presentation:
- Main OTF website – www.otffeo.on.ca
- Our Twitter handles – @otffeo @otf_pd @OTFpresFEO
- Special Education Gateway – www.teachspeced.ca
- OTF Curriculum Forum – access to 50+ subject and division associations: https://www.otffeo.on.ca/en/services/curriculum-forum/
- Survive & Thrive website for beginning teachers – www.survivethrive.on.ca
- Safe@School website on bullying prevention, equity and inclusion – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Parent Engagement – www.parentengagement.ca
- OTF Connects live webinars for teachers by teachers – https://www.otffeo.on.ca/en/learning/otf-connects/
- Financial Literacy – www.inspirefinancialliteracy.ca
After attending this event and completing the Check for Understanding, teacher candidates can add it to their Western Co-Curricular Record (WCCR) at connect.uwo.ca